Sunday 1 June 2014

Game 10: Sloth Storm

Back to Java to try out LibGDX. I had tried to use LibGDX about a year ago but I was newer and couldn't get anything to work and it's been recently updated to be slightly more user friendly I think! LibGDX is a bit weird to get used to but that's mainly due to the fact that you code once and in theory can run on desktop, android, ios and html whic is pretty rad! It seems to have pretty good performance and Box2D is fun to use.

I had about 4 hours worth of problems making it work with html but got it in the end. I really like this library and will probably end up making my big game in it. I'll continue making a game a week for the next couple of weeks though. Don't want to start making something big in this library until I can find my way around it a bit better.

As for the game, I was making this hexagon grid thing for the first 6 days or so. I had an idea for a game that has Conway's Game Of Life-type rules but in a hexagonal grid and expanded for terrain types. The idea would be to subtly influence the lay of the land by changing a single tile every turn to reach your goal. I wanted it to be fun but I couldn't squeeze any gameplay out of it.

Sloth Storm was made in the last day because I wanted to mess around with Box2D and about 1/3 of the time was spent getting it to work with html so it's a bit plain. Pretty fun to make though!

No comments:

Post a Comment